Thursday, May 21, 2015

10th & Alder VS 4th College

Food Carts Pod 

I've challenged to compare these two pods.  I love both almost the same amount, but there are some ups and downs I do have for each places.  I will be comparing 10th and Alder food carts and 4th and College (next to PSU) and their differences. 




Which pod is better? 

Both pods have great varieties.  My first experience was at 10th & Alder.  They have a large variety of Hispanic, Arabian, Chinese, and Thai inspired dishes.  This place's atmosphere always lively whenever I go there, mainly because I do go during rush hours (11-12 or 3:30/4).  I realized many travelers do also come to this food cart because it is right next to Pioneer Square.  This made me feel as if people overrated this area, however, from other food cart pods, this one is starting to shut down more pods than others. 

Rolls Plus Sushi Cart
What I really loved from this was BBQ Pork Buns at a Sushi/ Vietnamese food cart name Rolls Plus Sushi.  This place would sell out on their buns quick, so you'd have to get there fast.  They only open from 11 am - 4 pm, but sometimes they aren't open at all!  I've also recently tried their Bahn Mi, which is surprisingly good.  I usually love eating Best Baguette Bahn Mi's, but this was a unique one.  It had a sweet pickling juice but also an umami taste.. something about it just amazed me.  I wasn't expecting it to be that good.

When I do eat at food carts, I usually get Thai food (because it's literally everywhere).  

Bangkok Curry Co. 
For Curry, I would head to 4th and College.  The Bangkok Curry food cart is my absolutely favorite.  I am a frequent regular there.  This place has authentic (to my opinion) curry that is always consistent food quality.  First  I would usually get the "Chicken Pad Thai" and currently moved onto Pumpkin Curry or Yellow/ Red Curry (all are great).  I love this place for their friendliness and great food quality! 


Nong's Khao Man Gai Cart
Both cart pods have Nong's Khao Man Gai, one of Portland most popular food cart in town.  This is because of a successful story from the Owner, who turned a food cart from Craigslist into a major hit, then opening her own restaurant after the food cart as well.  They serve simple chicken and rice, but the most important thing, they ask "white or dark meat?"  They want you to get what kind of chicken you like, also, they're free range.  




So Who Wins? 

Both places are great.  It really is hard to pick so I actually won't.  4th and College has many Arabian food carts that are becoming much more popular, but there are a couple of Thai carts, along with Asian inspired food carts.  One cart I wouldn't recommend to go at 4th and College is Phat Cart.  Many people like the food, but whenever I go there, I cannot finish their chicken.  I just don't like the taste of their chicken.  And their Pad Thai is just noodles, chicken, and sweet chili sauce (yes I can tell what is in the sauces).  I like everything else about it besides the chicken and Pad Thai served there, like their french fries.  Many of the burritos are good at 4th and College, can't go wrong with burritos! 

Burrito at 10th & Alder- Yuumm!
At 10th and Alder, they have Tito's Burritos food cart, only cash though (which is a highly recommended place, they also have a restaurant next to 4th and College).  Along with Tito's, they have a Chinese food cart that do their noodles by hand, hand stretching it.  I thought that was very interesting and unique to bring your customers in, also only cash only.  Not to miss out on the Grill Cheese Sandwiches, though I haven't been there yet, I heard amazing things.  This food cart is more for businessmen and travelers, whereas I feel that 4th and College is more geared towards College students. 

In aspect, all food carts have ups and downs.  Depending on what you get and where, you should make sure you have an idea of what you already want to get.  But in Portland, you can have Mexico next to China... with Thailand in between each countries.  Happy living Portland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment